Supporting your students

We offer current University of Edinburgh students English language support to assist study.

Academic Language and Literacies for In-Sessional Study (ALLIS) (Formerly ELSIS)

If School staff feel a student needs help with English, the Programme Director / Personal Tutor / Supervisor can refer the student to us. 

Find out how to refer a student here >

Specialised English Language Support 

We can also provide specialised courses for students according to remits supplied by academic staff.

These are some of the ways in which ELE has supported Schools: Our specialist Academic Writing Courses are designed in close cooperation with School Programme directors to enable postgraduate taught students to work through tasks on how to construct good essays, to produce a mock essay, and have it marked by experienced School tutors / lecturers. The courses are primarily intended for students with English as a foreign language, but ANY interested student who wants to improve their essay writing skills may benefit.

We currently run courses tailored for the School of Social and Political Science taught Masters programmes, for the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine MSc by Research, and for Education Language Masters programmes.

Contact us for more information.